Although EsLaRed was legally registered in November, 17, 1999 as an independent organisation, it has carried out training and dissemination activities on ICTs since 1992 through Universidad de los Andes. Based in Merida, Venezuela, EsLaRed is a non-profit, private, academic institution dedicated to the development and promotion of research and dissemination of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in its various forms.
The objectives of EsLaRed are:
- To develop and promote activities of human resources and research in Telecommunications, Computer Networks and Information Technologies in Latin America and the Caribbean
- To perform research and development on technology transfer and appropriate technology in order to foster scientific, technical and social progress in Latin America and the Caribbean
To this end, EsLaRed will:
- Organise national and international courses, seminaries, symposia and workshops
- Consult on ICT, drawing from our international team of experts and collaborators, developed through 18 years of activities, to cater to the needs of international organisations and local communities;
- Undertake research and development on ICT with particular emphasis on the needs of the developing countries.