spectrum

Joint comments to the Innovation, Science and Economic Development’s Consultation on the Technical and Policy Framework for White Space Devices in Canada
Joint comments to the Innovation, Science and Economic Development’s Consultation on the Technical and Policy Framework for White Space Devices in Canada 16 February 2018 APC and Internet Society

In 2016, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunication Commission (CRTC) ruled that broadband Internet is a basic telecommunication service. The CRTC set the ambitious goal of ensuring 90 per cent of Canadian householders would have access to broadband speeds of 50Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. The unfortunate reality in Canada is that the remaining 10 per cent of Canadians that will be left behind if this goal is achieved are predominantly from rural, remote, and Indigenous communiti...

Ending digital exclusion: Why the access divide persists and how to close it
Ending digital exclusion: Why the access divide persists and how to close it 13 April 2016

In a new position paper from APC, we unpack the underlying causes of limited connectivity, the shortcomings of current initiatives, and propose a set of policy responses to address the access gap. Affordable and reliable internet access has become a vital means to exercise fundamental human rights and support development. In the words of former UN Special Rapporteur Frank La Rue, “the internet is one of the most powerful instruments of the 21st century for increasing transparency in th...

Ending digital exclusion: Why the access divide persists and how to close it
Ending digital exclusion: Why the access divide persists and how to close it 13 April 2016 APC

Affordable and reliable internet access has become a vital means to exercise fundamental human rights and to support economic, social and human development. As observed by the former UN Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression, Frank La Rue, “the internet is one of the most powerful instruments of the 21st century for increasing tran...

Colombia redefines its spectrum management plan
Colombia redefines its spectrum management plan 20 March 2012 AF

The APC initiative “Open spectrum for development” aims to improve knowledge of spectrum regulation through studies of the situation in Africa, Asia and Latin America. As part of this project, five countries in Latin America, including Colombia, presented reports on their national situation. Lilian Chamorro of Colnodo, along with Ariel Barbosa, co-authored the national report on Colombia. ...

Let's get spectrum right: It's time to start making use of TV white spaces
Let's get spectrum right: It's time to start making use of TV white spaces 03 October 2011

The use and management of spectrum was raised repeatedly during the IGF with many seeing digital migration and TV white spaces as an exciting opportunity for bridging the access gap. A number of recommendations came out of an APC workshop on spectrum for development as APC schedules a white spaces workshop in Joburg this week.  

Spectrum for development
Spectrum for development 16 September 2011 Steve Song

When talking about affordable, ubiquitous access to communication in developing countries, wireless technologies offer the most hope for effectively bridging the digital divide. This paper examines its challenges and opportunities.    

Open spectrum for development: South Africa case study
Open spectrum for development: South Africa case study 18 February 2011 Steve Song

Prior to 1994, spectrum in South Africa was managed by the state body responsible for its implementation. Thus broadcast spectrum was managed by the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) and telecommunications spectrum managed by the state telecommunications provider, Telkom. This was generally uncontentious because, prior to the rise of mobile telecommunications and wireless broadband,...

Open Spectrum For Development: Kenya Case Study
Open Spectrum For Development: Kenya Case Study 16 December 2009 Muriuki Mureithi PhD

At the regulatory layer, Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK) is a key actor with a legal mandate on spectrum management in Kenya. Kenya Communications Act 1998, Kenya Communications Act 2010, and subsequent subsidiary legislation as promulgated by the Minister define the CCK’s mandate. Appeals Tribunal arbitrates any disputes arising from implementation of the enabling legislation. Also ...

« Go back