By APCNews Guadalajara, 29 November 2016
The Internet Governance Forum (IGF) kicks off on Tuesday 6 December in Guadalajara, Mexico. On the evening of Monday 5 December, from 20:00 to 22:00, APC, IFEX and ISOC will host the event Disco-tech Guadalajara, under the theme “Community Networks: Civil society’s efforts to improve connectivity in local communities”.
What will we do?
Internet infrastructure built by rural communities, local entrepreneurs and municipal authorities is an important means of achieving better and more affordable broadband access while helping to meet the needs of the four billion people who have been unable to obtain connectivity through traditional commercial access models. To shed light on the practical work of connecting communities by civil society groups in many corners of the world, APC, ISOC and IFEX are hosting a peer-learning session on the night before the global IGF begins in Guadalajara.
For those who have joined this event in the past, this is APC’s fourth Disco-tech at the IGF. For newcomers, we call it a “Disco-tech” because the format of the event is very unique. We are connecting policy to tech in a social atmosphere.
Short talks on practical applications of community networks will inspire participants on the eve of the IGF. Participants are also invited to follow up at the Disco-tech booth in the exhibition hall during the IGF.
- Peter Bloom, Rhizomatica (Mexico)
- John Dada, Fantsuam Foundation (Nigeria)
- Nicolás Echániz, AlterMundi/LibreRouter (Argentina)
- Steve Song, Village Telco (South Africa)
- Ritu Srivastava, DEF (India)
- Laura Tresca, ARTICLE 19 (Brazil)
- Lulú V. Barrera, Luchadoras (Mexico)
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or https://crm.apc.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=26
- Date/time: 20:00 – 22:00, Monday, 5 December 2016
- Venue: Restaurant El Mexicano, Calle Morelos 79
- Transport: Taxi to Zona Centro, or by walking from central Guadalajara
- Attendance: Approx. 150 people
- Food: provided (veg options), cash bar
More on the Disco-tech, and on this year’s activities around community networks at the Internet Governance Forum, here .