By APCPublished on
Page last updated on
The Association for Progressive Communications (APC) is looking for a People and Culture Manager.
APC is an international network of civil society organisations founded in 1990 dedicated to empowering and supporting people working for peace, human rights, development and protection of the environment, through the strategic use of information and communications technologies (ICTs). APC has a team of 53 people working from 26 countries growing to 60 people in the next three months, with a majority located in the global South. APC’s team members are activists, feminists, technologists and policy-change actors working at the intersection of technology, social and environmental justice, human rights, sexual rights and women’s rights.
This is a new senior position that will significantly increase APC’s capacity to manage and nurture a growing and diverse team during a time of organisational change.
Purpose of the position: The People and Culture Manager (PCM) is the main point of contact with staff and oversees staff well-being; support, coaching and advising; remuneration (compensation and benefits); performance management and staff development; and staff recruitment, planning and team building. The PCM is responsible for development of people, culture and human resources policies and procedures and has a critical role strengthening systems and practices that support APC’s institutional capacity to respond to the needs of a growing team and organisational change.
Deadline for applications: 31 March 2023
Start date: 1 May 2023
Working relationships: You will work closely with APC’s leadership team, organisational care team, human resources administrator and finance team and will report to the APC director of operations.
Location: The applicant can work from anywhere as long as they have reliable connectivity. APC provides an equipment allowance and requires staff to use their own computers and office equipment. International and regional travel will be required, depending on the current COVID-19 conditions. APC is a networked organisation with a strong base and orientation towards the global South and privileges this political lens and location in our work.
Remuneration and duration of contract: This is a 1.0 full-time equivalent (FTE) position on an initial 12-month contract with the possibility of renewal. Contract renewal is dependent on performance (there will be a four-month “settling” period) and the availability of funding. Remuneration is in the range of USD 60,000 to USD 70,000 per year. Short-listed applicants will receive specific information about the salary range.
1. Organisational culture and practice: Develop and maintain APC’s policies, ensuring that they continue to reflect best practice, are legally compliant, foster sustainable work practices, and are equitable across the various locations where our team members live and work. In addition to APC’s human resources manual, APC has policies that address issues such as diversity, equity, inclusion, sexual harassment, principles of participation, sustainable work, environmental impact and conflict of interest.
2. Institutional strengthening and leadership: Working with the leadership team, ensure that APC has the people (staff, interns and consultants), skills, expertise and support structures needed to implement APC’s strategic vision and respond to changing needs and priorities; and support the leadership team with development of job profiles, staff planning and advice for professional development.
3. Capacity building, personal development and building the staff team: Oversee staff performance assessment and manage internal and external opportunities for staff to build capacities through study, training, sabbaticals and other activities.
4. Staff well-being: Working with APC’s organisational care team, build and oversee APC’s organisational sustainable work programme approach that supports staff members to achieve and enjoy a healthy and sustainable work-life balance that includes care and well-being activities, compassionate communication, conflict resolution and conscious time management.
5. Staff recruitment: Oversee hiring, contracting, orientation, on-boarding and processes when staff leave APC.
6. Remuneration system, policies and procedures: Oversee implementation of APC’s remuneration system, which is based on the United Nations’ post-adjustment factor system, working closely with the finance team.
7. Maintenance and updating of systems and platforms: Maintain content on platforms that support APC’s people and culture strategy. This includes use of a cloud-based finance system (Netsuite) for leave and time-sheets, a Drupal-based platform for management of hiring processes, and various cloud-hosted spreadsheets tracking other people and culture processes.
8. Your team: You will support a small team working on human resources administration and care.
Who we are looking for
You are passionate about working with people.
You believe in APC’s vision and mission and have worked for organisations or networks with similar goals and values.
You have at least five years of demonstrated knowledge and experience working in people and culture-related work at a senior level including development of relevant policies and procedures, organisational remuneration systems, sustainable work practices, staff planning and building team capacity.
You have significant knowledge and experience of organisational management, systems and administration.
You have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability and experience of working in a team, cross-culturally and across time zones.
You are sensitive and curious about the complexities of a diverse team and the needs around self, collective and organisational care, and you are able to translate these into relevant policies and processes.
You have excellent written and verbal English.
You are pro-active, organised and responsive to email correspondence and requests.
Your have significant experience working in an online virtual/remote environment.
You are available for travel, depending on the current COVID-19 conditions.
Also an advantage:
Working knowledge of Spanish and/or French.
APC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to ethnicity, colour, religion, sexuality or gender identity, disability or any other protected status with respect to recruitment, hiring, development and training, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment. APC values people from diverse backgrounds and encourages applications from people from the global South, working to create an open atmosphere of integrity, trust, honesty and respect. We particularly encourage women, trans, gender-queer, non-binary and gender-diverse people to apply.
The Association for Progressive Communications (APC) was established by seven founding organisations in 1990 as an international membership-based network working to mobilise emerging electronic information and communication networks for social justice and development. APC celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2020.
APC has grown into a respected network with a total of 62 organisational members. APC’s strength comes from the experience, expertise and credibility of the people who make up the network and the organisational culture of feminist values, commitment to human rights, belief in collaboration and respect and care that APC brings to its relationship within the APC community.
Our vision is for people to use and shape the internet and digital technologies to create a just and sustainable world, leading to greater care for ourselves, each other and the Earth.
Our mission is to create a just and sustainable world by harnessing the collective power of activists, organisations, excluded groups, communities and social movements, to challenge existing power structures and ensure that the internet is developed and governed as a global public good.
To apply for this position, click here.
If you have any questions please write to firstname.lastname@example.org including “People and Culture Manager” in the subject line.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.