Publisher: APC Montreal, 08 April 2014
Update: The call for applications is now closed.
APC has an opening for a communications officer to participate in the virtual communications team of the world’s oldest online progressive network. The position is 60-80% time on a one-year contract with the option to renew if funding is available. Candidates should be available to begin in June 2014. The deadline for applications is 29 April 2014.
You will lead communications work for one of APC’s two programmes, our Communications and Internet Policy Programme (CIPP).
We are looking for someone who has:
- At least five years experience in communications, media relations and social marketing
- Developed successful strategies and plans for campaigns, events and publication dissemination
- Measurable success with campaigns and dissemination via social media, Twitter in particular
- Experience working completely online including managing projects remotely
- A concise, creative, confident communication style, with a strong visual sense and excellent English writing and editing skills
- Experience working in the non-profit sector, specifically in internet policy
- Experience dealing with multiple cultures and languages.
Note that fluency in French, Spanish will be a distinct advantage.
Communications, media and social outreach
You will work on a four-person editorial team to produce original news and feature content in English, French and Spanish. A suitable, qualified candidate could also be appointed as editorial chief of our French-language website (APC.org/fr) and our twice-monthly French-language newsletter, APCNouvelles.
On issues related to communications and internet policy, you will act as international media liaison and sometimes spokesperson with primarily print, web and radio media in English (and potentially Spanish and French). You will assist the communications team in developing and monitoring relationships with the media and in the production of media releases.
You will keep APC up to date in social networking spaces, planning and coordinating strategic approaches to product launches and events.
You will join one other communications officer in reporting to the communications manager and will work on a day-to-day basis with the CIPP manager and staff, as well as the entire APC staff and its members. Most of the work takes place in mailing lists.
Remuneration and working conditions
The remuneration for this position is negotiable depending on skills, qualifications and experience.
The successful applicant is expected to provide his or her own computer, have easy access to an internet connection, and work during normal office hours. Reimbursement for office supplies and communication costs will be covered by APC. While much of the communications work will take place online, some travel to meetings, conferences and workshops is expected.
How to apply
Your statement of interest is extremely important. Your CV must be included as an attachment. Please consider the following in your statement:
- A description of your interest in working with APC in this position
- Your experience related to the requirements listed above
- A rating of the languages you speak and write
- A description of your computer skills
- Other information you think might be of importance to our assessment of your application
- Two references: names, relationship, contact details; at least one of these should be related to an online communications initiative in which you had a leadership role.
Candidates from the global south are especially encouraged to apply.
Please send this information via email to email@example.com with the subject line: “APC communications officer – your name” by 29 April.
Any applications received with viruses will be disqualified automatically.