Page last updated on
The Association for Progressive Communications in partnership with the Media Institute of Southern Africa and DW Akademie will be facilitating a 2 day training workshop on Internet Governance held in Johannesburg, at the Mapungubwe Hotel . The training will be jam packed filled with exciting and relevant content to further build Internet Governance capacity and knowledge sharing in the SADC region.
The workshop aims to be interactive and bring real life and policy issues to the fore. In keeping up with bringing a real life feel to the workshop, participants have been tasked with preparing a mock presentation to the Ministry of Telecommunications, where they should highlight key human rights which are affected by the internet. This practicum will show that the internet is not only a place to access information but how it can also shape our daily lives and civic participation.
Please find agenda here
The Key focus areas of the training are:
• Internet Governance issues and institutions
• Internet governance and social issues: human rights, development and security
• Emerging issues in Internet Governance
Resources and materials:
• Between Coordination and Regulation: Conceptualizing Governance in Internet Governance by Jeannete Hoffmann. This paper contributes to the recent move towards a more systematic reflection on the conceptual foundations of Internet governance. It is led by the question of how to define (Internet) governance in a way that is theoretically grounded as well as empirically instructive. For this aim, it mobilizes literature from the broader field of governance and regulation studies as well as sociological theory and applies these concepts to issues of Internet governance
• Civil Society participation in Internet Governance by Anriette Esterhuysen (pp 54 – 60). This paper shows how the internet is not a level playing field. We need to deal with conflicts of interests, differences in accountability and in ability to participate. Multi-stakeholder participation in internet policy-making has a long way to go if it is to really deepen democracy.
• “Digital Security First Aid Kit for Human Rights Defenders”: https://www.apc.org/en/irhr/digital-security-first-aid-kit
• Prof. Wolf. Kleinwaechter on The history and story behind the internet
For more information contact Emilar Vushe-Gandhi at firstname.lastname@example.org