APC seeks experienced finance associate
12 April 2017 (APCNews)
APC seeks to appoint an experienced Finance Associate
Main purpose of the job: The successful candidate will join the APC finance team with the responsibility to carry out specific financial and administration tasks under the supervision of the Finance Manager. She or he will work closely with the Senior Finance Officer and also with other members of the APC team.
Start date: 1 June 2017
Deadline for applications: 28 April 2017
Reporting: The Finance Associate will report to the Finance Manager.
The Finance Associate will be responsible for the following tasks:
1. Assistance to finance team
- Extract ledger accounts, collect and enter data in various financial spreadsheets as required.
- Provide assistance to finance manager by drafting internal financial reports for projects and programmes.
- Provide calculations as requested.
- Maintain records by filing documents in relevant online spaces.
- Assist with project and organisational audit preparation.
2. Partner financial report verification/reconciliation
- Assist Senior Finance Officer by checking and verifying supporting documentation from APC project partners based on their sub-contractual financial reports – deadlines for this work will be based on project time-lines.
3. Finance and administration support for APC events, workshops and meetings
- Assist Events and Logistics Coordinator by providing forms and information in line with relevant APC policies and procedures and specific donor contractual requirements, so that event finances are efficiently controlled.
- Provide remote or on-site support to Events and Logistics Coordinator on an as-needed basis.
- Assist the Events and Logistics Coordinator and/or Senior Finance Officer to gather event financial report/s and supporting documentation.
- Assist with checking, verifying and reconciling disbursements on an as-needed basis.
- Upload reconciled financial reports to payment request system with support from Senior Finance Officer as soon as possible after the conclusion of the event.
4. Debtors control: create, send and follow up on invoices with support from Finance Manager
- Generate invoices annually for APC members and for new members as required.
- Generate and send out invoices as requested by staff for consultancies, travel refunds, and sundry accounts receivable.
- Generate statements and follow-up on unpaid invoices on a regular basis, send acknowledgements of receipt as required.
- Reconcile balance sheet debtor accounts with support from Senior Finance Officer.
Qualifications, background and experience
- B.Com or equivalent tertiary qualification
- At least three years working experience
- Experience working with project financials, and donor financial and administrative reporting requirements
- Bookkeeping to trial balance in Sage Evolution.
- Experience and proficiency in use of spreadsheets and Sage Evolution
- Financial management skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Computer skills
- Good communication skills
- Events management skills
- Adherence to donor financial and administrative reporting requirements
- Ability to work in an online environment
- Access to office space with printer and connectivity
- Ability to work well in a small and supportive team space.
The successful applicant may work from anywhere in the world provided they have internet access; a South Africa-based location will be an advantage for this position. APC provides an equipment allowance but requires staff to use their own computers and office equipment. International and regional travel will be required occasionally.
Remuneration and duration of contract
This is a .5 FTE (full-time equivalent) position on contract for an initial 12-month period. The contract is renewable depending on performance and availability of funding. There will be a three-month probation period. Remuneration is based on APC’s salary scale for the position of project coordinator. Short-listed candidates will receive specific information on the salary range on request.
How to apply
Send your CV and covering letter in English that illustrates your interest in the position to email@example.com, with “FINANCE ASSOCIATE” in the subject line. The following information should be included in your CV or cover letter:
- Your interest in working in the finance environment, especially in the civil society sector
- Your experience in preparing project financial reports
- Your experience working with ledger and financial spreadsheets
- Your experience with finance administration of meetings and workshops
- Your computer and internet skills
- Where you live, and languages you speak and write
- Why you would like to work with APC
- Other information you think might be of importance to our assessment of your application
- Three references: names, relationship, contact details; at least one of these should be related to your financial work in the areas referred to in this advertisement.
The deadline for applications is 28 April 2017 at 2300 UTC.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information about APC, visit www.apc.org