James Nguo, regional director of the Arid Lands Information Network (ALIN) has been working on rural community knowledge centres in Kenya for over four years. This work has been recognised by the Ashoka Global Academy, an organisation that promotes social entrepreneurship through small grants and fellowships.
- Formerly a New Zealand human rights commissioner, Joy Liddicoat has joined APC as Project Coordinator for the new Connect your rights! Internet rights are human rights campaign. Joy's work in human rights began in earnest in 2001 when she attended the World Conference on Racism in Durban, South Africa.
APC members elected a new board of directors for the world’s oldest online network during a ballot at the eleventh face-to-face APC council meeting on March 20.
Various social organisations that have been working together since 2005 to shape the information society in Latin America and the Caribbean have once again chosen APC to act as the civil society liaison within the eLAC2015 Plan of Action. Latin American and Caribbean governments in the Third Ministerial Conference on the Information Society approved the plan in November 2010.
In light of this year’s World Social Forum in Dakar Senegal, APC member Mayfirst/People Link is teaming up with IndyMedia Africa and will be hositing live events via the Indymedia convergence centre for those who can not attend the Forum in person. Media activists from over 10 African countries will give their impressions on what’s going on, and respond to the questions of others around the world. Live streams of the events take place on Tuesday 8 February at 7:00 pm (EST) and on Thursday 10 February at 7:00 pm (EST). Find out more about the events.
- Agustina lives in Montevideo, Uruguay, and studies communications in the Catholic University. She started working as comms intern for APC in October 2010.
Training Workshop: Enterprise Modelling for Non-Profit Sustainability and Social Entrepreneurship
Ungana-Afrika proudly presents a training workshop that will provide participants with the knowledge and tools to define how their organisation can be sustainable and create value while generating revenues.
Date: 21-22 February 2011
Venue: Sunnyside Park Hotel, Parktown, Johannesburg
- APC job title
- Environment and sustainability intern
- Programmes/management systems
- Ryan Clement is APC’s current intern from IISD-CIDA (the International Institute for Sustainable Development/Canadian International Development Agency). He has worked an editor for a variety of publications and in the NGO sector, and holds a Master of Arts in Communication and Culture. Although originally from Canada, he is presently based in Johannesburg, South Africa.