By APC 11 November 2013
Update: The deadline has passed for applications.
APC is offering an exciting opportunity working with its Communication and Information Policy Programme (CIPP) as coordinator for Global Information Society Watch. GISWatch, launched in 2007, is a premier platform for civil society perspectives on the state of the Information Society at global, regional and national levels.
The Association for Progressive Communications (APC) is a global network of civil society organisations whose mission is to empower and support organisations, social movements and individuals in and through the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs) to build strategic communities and initiatives for the purpose of making meaningful contributions to equitable human development, social justice, participatory political processes and environmental sustainability. Read more at www.apc.org
About Global Information Society Watch
GISWatch is a partnership project of Hivos and APC launched in 2007. GISWatch reports cover the state of the information society from the perspectives of civil society. It combines thematic analysis by experts with bottom-up country reports developed by members of the GISWatch network of contributors. GISWatch is a tool for researchers, for the media, for policy makers and for civil society advocates for an inclusive, people-centred information society. Read more at www.giswatch.org
Main purpose of job
The GISWatch coordinator is responsible for the overall coordination of the GISWatch initiative in order to not just sustain it, but to grow it and increase its impact as an information, research and advocacy platform for the development of an inclusive, fair and open internet and information society. This includes resource mobilisation, building and managing strategic partnerships, planning and production of annual and special reports, animation and maintenance of the GISWatch website and online community, and, promotion, outreach and dissemination, including launch activities.
Start date As soon as possible
Deadline for applications 29 November 2013
Tasks and responsibilities
The GISWatch coordinator will report to the APC Communications and Information Policy Programme (CIPP) Manager and be responsible for the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Managing the production of the annual report and special editions
- Facilitating the GISWatch community of contributors and partners
- Promotion and dissemination and outreach to target audiences
- Animating and growing the reach of the GISWatch online platform
- Resource mobilisation, financial management, reporting, monitoring and evaluation
Background and experience
- An academic, research or advocacy background in ICT/internet policy in a human rights and/or development context
- At least five years experience working on ICT policy issues
- At least three years experience in project management including reporting, and people and budget management
- Experience in leading or contributing to successful fund-raising efforts
- Experience in working in an online environment and facilitating online communities
- Experience with strategic communications and outreach , including the use of social media
Skills and capacities
- Excellent English writing and oral communication skills, including public speaking experience
- Able to work in a team and under pressure
- Able to meet deadlines
- Able to work independently and to manage people mainly via online platforms
- Able and willing to travel
- Excellent computer and internet skills
The following will provide candidates with further advantage
- Ability to communicate in French, Spanish or Arabic
- Background in publishing and distribution and dissemination of publications
- Experience in working with layout and design of print and online publications (either directly, or working with layout and design specialists)
- Familiarity with HTML and/or website coordination and/or design
- Experience and skill in using free and open source software
Remuneration and duration of contract
This is a half-time (on average) contract (the intensity of work varies depending on the report production cycle) for an initial twelve-month period (renewable depending on performance and availability of funding). Remuneration is based on APC’s salary scale for the position for project coordinator or senior project coordinator. Short-listed candidates will receive more specific information on request.
The incumbent can work from anywhere provided they have excellent internet access and adequate workspace. APC provides an equipment allowance but require staff to use their own computers. International and regional travel will be required. APC is a truly virtual organisation and does not have a physical headquarters. We do our work online.
How to apply
Please send a CV and a cover letter in English that illustrates your interest in the position and states why you believe you are the ideal candidate
You should include the following information:
- Your knowledge of ICT policy issues;
- Your experience in networking, partnership building;
- Your background in project management and team coordination;
- Your experience in financial management, resource mobilisation and monitoring and evaluation;
- Your experience in use of social media and development of communication and strategies;
- Your computer skills ;
- Where you live, and languages you speak and write;
- Other information you think might be of importance to our assessment of your application;
- Three references: names, relationship, contact details; at least one of these should be related to project or campaign that you have managed.
Please send this information via email with ‘GISWatch coordinator’ in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 29 November 2013. Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.