Job opportunity: Internet rights outreach and capacity-building coordinator for the Maghreb-Machrek region
By SF for APCNews
19 February 2014
APC is seeking an outreach and capacity building coordinator to join its Communications and Information Policy Programme (CIPP) to coordinate APC’s internet rights networking and capacity-building work with women’s and human rights defenders in the Maghreb-Machrek region.
Main purpose of the job: The outreach and capacity building coordinator will be responsible for coordinating APC’s regional and national advocacy, networking and learning activities in the Maghreb-Machrek region. These activities form part of a larger project that aims to make regulatory frameworks governing the internet in the region more rights oriented and to empower human rights defenders, women’s rights groups and others in civil society to use the internet effectively, safely and securely.
Start date: 1 April 2014
Deadline for applications: 24 March 2014
Tasks and responsibilities
Coordinate APC’s internet rights outreach in the region, as well as APC’s contribution to a larger project aimed at building a culture of online human rights and digital security through capacity building and networking of human rights defenders in the Maghreb-Machrek region.
- Participating in the project steering committee
- Working with APC’s Universal Periodic Review (UPR) coordinator and project partners on UPR activities including national consultations and a regional capacity-building workshop
- Organising and co-facilitating a regional seminar on freedom of expression, freedom of association and the internet and regional training workshops on digital security
- Coordinating development of policy papers and the development of a digital security training curriculum
- Managing budgets and and producing project reports
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with APC and project partners in the region
- Actively participating in the APC’s internal policy spaces
- Coordinate media, communications and information outreach in the region, working with APC’s communications team and APC members and partners
Background and experience
- Experience working with civil society, rights and policy issues in the region
- Academic background and/or knowledge of human rights and internet policy and regulation
- Experience in working with women’s rights issues and groups in the region
- At least two years experience in project management
- Experience in outreach and network building
- Excellent Arabic and English writing and oral communication skills
- Able to work in a team and under pressure
- Able to think strategically and plan accordingly
- Able to work independently and to manage people mainly via online communications
- Excellent computer and internet skills and experience in working in an online environment
Remuneration and duration of contract
This is a half-time contract for a twelve-month period. Work load will vary according to the project cycle. At times it will be full time and at other times less than half time. The contract is renewable depending on performance and availability of funding. Remuneration is based on APC’s salary scale for a project coordinator position. Short-listed candidates will receive more specific information on request.
The successful applicant must be located in the region and must have excellent internet access and adequate workspace. APC is a truly virtual organisation and does not have a physical headquarters. APC provides an equipment allowance but requires staff to use their own computers.
How to apply
Please send a CV and a cover letter in English to email@example.com that illustrates your interest in the position and which responds to the background, experience and other requirements listed above, including experience in project management, digital security training, internet policy and regulation, as well as:
- Where you live
- Languages you speak and write
- Other information you think might be of importance to our assessment of your application
- Three references: names, relationship, contact details; at least one of these should be related to project or campaign that you have managed
Please send this information via email with ‘Internet Rights MENA Coordinator’ in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 24 March 2014, 0900 UTC. Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.