By APC Johannesburg, 04 April 2014
The Association for Progressive Communications (APC), established in 1990, is an international network of civil society organisations dedicated to empowering and supporting groups and individuals working for peace, human rights, development and protection of the environment through the strategic use of information and communication technologies (ICTs), including the internet.
Research is one of APC’s core strategic activities and supports learning, analysis, advocacy and capacity building. APC staff, members and partners have formed a loose network (the APC Action Research Network) that conducts research in the course of programme and project implementation. The nature of the research and the research problems being addressed vary greatly, and the research takes place in different parts of the world.
Main purpose of the job: APC is looking for a Research Design Coordinator to ensure that APC research is of high quality and value and to provide researchers in the APC network with advice and support in research design and execution.
Start date: Immediately
Deadline for applications: 12 April 2014
Tasks and responsibilities: Working with programme and project coordinators and researchers in the APC network, the Research Design Coordinator will be required to:
- Review and rationalise research components of APC proposals
- Assist with articulation of research problems within the appropriate theoretical framework
- Coordinate and support as needed research design for APC research projects
- Develop data collection tools such as surveys, questionnaires and interview schedules
- Ensure that quantitative tools are used when appropriate
- Ensure that APC maintains a multi-disciplinary approach in its research frameworks and methodology
- Provide advice on ethical issues in APC research projects
- Ensure that the research design contributes to influencing policy
- Train APC staff as needed and build their research skills in the course of coordination and support of research projects
- Provide advice to APC in hiring researchers for various research projects through, for example, compiling terms of reference and briefs for research contracts
- Provide support to project coordinators in the supervision of research and researchers and in the writing up of research results and reports
- Carry out overall quality control to ensure that research is of high quality and value.
Qualifications, background and experience:
- A post-graduate qualification in the social sciences
- Expertise in social research design and methodology
- Experience in quantitative methods
- Familiarity with “research for action” and participatory research methods
- Familiarity with feminist approaches to research.
APC is a truly virtual organisation and does not have a physical headquarters. We do our work online. For this position we particularly encourage candidates from the global South.
Remuneration and duration of contract:
This is a fixed-term contract for 50 days of work over a two-year period between April 2014 and March 2016. Remuneration rates will be discussed with short-listed applicants.
How to apply:
Please send a CV and a covering letter in English that illustrates your interest in the position. You should include the following information:
- Your qualifications, background and experience as outlined above
- Samples of research reports/studies you have worked on which demonstrate the research methodologies and contexts you are familiar with
- Your computer skills
- Where you live
- Languages you speak and write
- Other information you think might be of importance to our assessment of your application
- Three references: names, relationship, contact details; at least one of these should be related to a project or campaign that you have managed.
- Your rates for both short- and and long-term contracts.
Please send this information via email with “Research design coordinator” in the subject line to: email@example.com by 12 April 0900 UTC. Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.