North African regional wireless training workshop
By Ann Tothill
BERLIN, GERMANY, 08 May 2006
North African Regional Wireless Training Workshop, Morocco, 12-16
* Are based in a community organization/NGO or work closely with community-focussed projects using networked technologies
* Have a practical need to develop your skills and knowledge in wireless networking and want to learn with others
* Are based in North Africa
...you are invited to apply to participate in the above workshop.
THE WORKSHOP AIMS TO
* Develop technical skills in wireless network planning, design, and management
* Promote understanding of appropriate wireless technology choices for community networking
* Lay the foundation for a community of like-minded practitioners to share knowledge, skills and experiences
Wireless technologies offer developing countries an important low-cost, versatile alternative to wired infrastructure. They enable communities to extend the reach of cabled GenderIT.org. ">internetconnectivity and to be in control of the planning, implementation and design of their own networks, making the network into a tool that really serves the needs of the community. Open wireless standards not only bring new technical opportunities at very low cost, but also bring a decentralized internet model to an area which has been restricted to traditional telecommunication operators.
The Association for Progressive Communications is coordinating an initiative, supported by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the Open Society Institute (OSI), to build capacity to implement wireless technologies for community networking in
The final workshop agenda will be fine-tuned in line with participants' needs and experience, but is expected to cover
* Introduction to wireless technologies
* Basic wireless network topology
* Windows/Linux client setup
* Access point setup
* Basic radio physics
* Site survey
* Link calculation
* Network security
* Managing/monitoring the network
* Workshop dates: 12-16 July 2006
* Venue: Al Akhawayn University, Ifrane, Morocco
* Workshop language: the main language of the workshop is Arabic. Selected sessions will be held in French and/or English.
* Costs: the cost of travel, shared accommodation, meals and workshop attendance will be covered by the organizers. Participants are
expected to cover their own visa, travel insurance, health- related costs and single accommodation supplements. No per diem will be
* Pre-workshop preparation: Participants will be required to undertake a small amount of pre-workshop preparation
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Workshop space is limited and demand for places is high. Evaluation of applications will take into account technical skills, community
linkages and motivation for participation. Applications from women are particularly encouraged.
* At least basic hands-on experience in TCP/IP network administration
* General arithmetic skills
* Arabic and French OR English language skills
* Located in a community organization/NGO or demonstrable ties with a community-focussed networking project.
* Strong indication of intention to apply the skills and knowledge acquired at the workshop for community development.
* Apply by completing the online application form at <http://www.apc.org/wireless/northafricanworkshop.shtml> NO LATER THAN 19 MAY 2006 (short-listed applicants may be asked to provide additional information after this date).
* Applicants will be notified whether they have been successful by 12 June 2006
* For further information please contact email@example.com